Saturday 12 September 2015

Why weddings Raissa?

Why weddings Raissa? It’s only a commitment ceremony and the process is similar; find your significant other, plan the event and live happily ever after.

Well…my interest in nuptials ponder beyond this perceived black and white “fairytale”. Ever since I studied the unit Culture to Cultures and currently delving into Making Meanings at Charles Telfair Institute, this has change my perspectives on society especially the unforeseen vices in which we fail to identify. In my opinion, the wars between countries and religions are solicited by each culture’s prejudices covertly inculcating their propaganda within social actors. The authority’s key messages are delivered via mass media with the aim to create XENOPHOBIA. To better understand this social vice, Tafira defines xenophobia as the dislike of other cultures integrating with ours in fear of social changes and economic deprivation. In this blog I want to show how interfaith weddings is fundamental in realizing that xenophobia exist in most societies by depicting the complex issues these couples go through for approval of their union. I want to show that through these interfaith wedding entries, xenophobia is only a myth as these couples’ vows show that it is possible to be accepting of each other’s diverse cultures and it is workable within their household.

© The union of two souls despite their cultural differences. My sister's wedding.

As it was detailed in my Avatar Annotation this blog will also shed light on different nuptial ceremonies aside to the common, slowly homogenized Christian ways of exchanging vows. Professor Ingraham acknowledge the domination of western society’s traditional ritual; the white gown, the church and the cake in which he terms the ‘white wedding’.
By publishing rituals from different cultures I hope to educate my viewers that although ceremonies are done differently (hence acknowledging and accepting different cultures) it serves to one purpose that is to bring together two people by their own rituals. I believe that diversified marriages is the foundation to erode such social vice.


Besides this main focus, I am keen on indigenous discoveries whether its gastronomy, transportation and weddings itself. Like most people my egotistical goal is to travel the world and the cheapest way to do it right now is to live it through online research. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! It clearly shows a passion for weddings across cultures and a desire to uncover the deeper meanings. I love weddings (think almost every girl does) and I can't wait for the other posts to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully my blog will enlighten you and other viewers on other connotations associated with diversified weddings. Thanks Nancy!

      Delete